WA captain Shaun Marsh believes a result is possible in disrupted Sheffield Shield clash with Tasmania

Test all-rounder Cam Green fell cheaply and controversially as he continued a less than ideal Ashes preparation at a wet and wild WACA Ground on Tuesday.

With play getting under way on the third attempted re-start at 2.20pm and halted due to bad light at 5pm, just 32.4 overs were bowled on day three of the Sheffield Shield clash between Western Australia and Tasmania.

WA progressed from 1-42 to 3-130 for a lead of 116 runs, with captain Shaun Marsh unbeaten on a patient 45 and Hilton Cartwright yet to score.

Marsh was adamant a result remains possible on Wednesday, with play scheduled to begin early at 9.30am and 112 overs to be bowled weather permitting.

The frustrations of the day were amplified by the two dismissals, both lbw, with Green and Sam Whiteman showing their disappointment before trudging from the field.

Green (13) was given out to veteran Peter Siddle after a ball that appeared to strike him above the pad on his back leg, while Whiteman (49) was also dismissed leg before after advancing well down the wicket to off-spinner Jarrod Freeman.

Green, who was involved in a testing tussle with Tasmanian concussion substitute Riley Meredith, has made scores of 2, 5 and 13 in the Shield competition since starting with a century against South Australia last month.

WA paceman Jhye Richardson, who suffered a back spasm on Monday, warmed up before play and is expected to be able to bat and bowl on Wednesday subject to a fitness test.

Strong wind wreaked havoc, with the umpires were forced to remove the bails, bowlers struggling with their run-ups and batters sometimes pulling away late.

“I was just getting blown away by the wind,” Marsh said.

“Every now and again there was a big gust come through and it made it a little bit difficult out there.

“It was an interesting day. I haven’t played in too many games, especially here at the WACA, like that. But it was a good challenge and hopefully we can come out here tomorrow and get a full day’s play in.”

Marsh said it was too early to contemplate a declaration.

“We’ll try and win that first hour and see how we go after that,” he said.

“We had to fight pretty hard today. It was still tough work out there. There’s still plenty of overs there to get a result.”

Meredith replaced teammate Lawrence Neil-Smith. Neil-Smith, who took five wickets in the first innings, suffered delayed concussion after a copping a blow from Lance Morris while batting.

The next block of Shield fixtures is yet to be announced, though WA are set to remain at home and host South Australia next week before a likely trip to Tasmania.

News Makanany

/ / / / / /