Brazil’s superstar striker Neymar says that he believes next year’s World Cup in Qatar could be the last of his career.
In excerpts, released on Sunday, of the DAZN-produced documentary ‘Neymar & The Line Of Kings’, the 29-year-old said: “Man, I think it will be my last World Cup.
“I am facing it like the last World Cup because I don’t know whether I will be able to, mentally, endure more soccer.
“I will do everything possible to get there very well. I will do all I can to win it with my country and realise my dream, the biggest since my boyhood. I hope I can achieve it.”
Neymar was playing with Brazil later on Sunday at Colombia in a World Cup qualifying match, with the Selecao leading the 10-team round robin competition with a maximum 27 points after nine games.
The striker didn’t play in Thursday’s 3-1 win for Brazil at Venezuela due to suspension.
The match in Barranquilla will mark Neymar’s return after the 2-0 win against Peru on September 10, in which he turned in a key Brazil performance with an assist and a goal.
Against Peru, Neymar overtook Romario as Brazil’s top goal scorer in World Cup qualifiers, with 12 goals. He is also approaching Pele’s record of 77 official goals for Brazil. The Paris St Germain striker has scored 69.
Neymar has so far played at two World Cups. In 2014, he picked up a back injury in the quarter-final against Colombia, which stopped him from playing in the 7-1 humiliation against Germany in the semifinals.
In the most recent edition of the tournament, Neymar had just returned from a serious foot injury and turned in an unimpressive performance in Brazil’s 2-1 quarter-final defeat by Belgium.